Monday, October 6, 2008

Start a Business That Matches Your Lifestyle.


I have recently come to the realization that I hate:

1) Being on call 24 hours a day.
2) Having to deal with petty problems (I love the big ones believe it or not).
3) Giving a client long-term service (I like to do any job in under two weeks or I just get bored).

So what did I do? I started a business that requires me being on call 24/7, I have to deal with broken toilet seats and irritating tenants. The service I give is in one year periods and some renovation projects go into many weeks of arduously long hour days.

Why am I doing this to myself? I hate waking up each day to this. So I have decided to make changes to the business model to adjust to my lifestyle, or else, why would I be in business?

I have changed:

1) My hours to 11-8. These are the hours most people call me anyway. Weekends are mine. I do not work weekends for any reason now. Any major emergency could be dealt with by calling 911. Any minor can wait.
2) I just don't deal with petty problems now. I either assign them to someone that can handle them faster and easier than I can or just refuse to deal with pettiness (such as tenants asking me to clean their kitchen for them; true story!).
3) Give a client a valuable short-term service and charge heavily for long-term service (which I can pass onto someone else). I am a sales/marketing person and can be in and out within a few days and make 10 times more money. Why would I continue to give long-term, capital draining services for next to nothing?

By doing the above I have found something very important to me; I can live life the way I want to and still keep the business I love.

No comments: